Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Garden Begins

   A few years ago when my son was in pre-school, he brought home a yarrow as a Mother's Day gift.  Attached to it was a precious poem about children and growing up and how this flower represented me and my son.  With eagerness he told me about how they had grown them from seed, watered them diligently and watched the seeds sprout on their classroom windows.  He also informed me that the styrofoam cup that currently was the flowers birth-home was not a suitable enviorment for very much longer and a transplant was going to be needed....."shit...the only thing I was ever good at growing was....well nothing..." I had even managed to kill one of those teeny, tiny Cati's before...ya know, the ones that just need to be left alone and they will thrive? "Bull!"
   Luckily, I had a secret weapon in my hand that I had never had before when it came to keeping plants alive...GOOGLE!!!  Moments after promising my son that we would plant it in a "garden" I hopped onto google and started searching.  After acquiring adequate info about the soil yarrows like, sunlight they require and other facts, my son and myself marched out to our designated spot and planted our 1 yarrow plant! HOOP-LAH!  Of course afterwards it looked rather lonely out there all by itself...so...back to google!
  From there it was a done deal! I had successfully kept my mothers day so happy for years that it went from a 1 stalk plant to completly surrounding the tree it has been planted by! Within 2 years I could have picked 50 yarrows at any given time in any arrangment of colors!
   As time has gone by, I have tried (and sometimes failed) to grow things in a variety of ways.  Soon  pics will be coming of this years garden and ideas!

Happy Growing!

1 comment:

  1. You did a really great job setting up your blog, I love the font at the top ... took me forever just to get mine the way that it is now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...